Skip to main content

Colors of Our Lives

Hi everyone! Diana here checking in from Southern California. I am so excited to be sharing my first blog post with you. I wanted to share a fun home decor project that I made for CHA that reminds me that Spring is just around the corner.

I love the bright colors of the Candy Counter Suzy West Collection! For this project I used Metallic Silver, Whirly Pop, Gummy Bear Green, Cotton Candy, Berrylicious, Sour Lemon, Bubble Gum, and Earthtone Blueberry. I used Martha Stewart's All Over the Page Classic Butterfly Punch to cut out 9 butterflies. I then used all 9 colors and embossed each butterfly completely. To add a little bit of texture, I stamped on several of them a text and embossed with a coordinating color. The stamp I used was from the "Call Me" WOW stamp collection.
I then stitched each butterfly on to a piece of 9" by 9" Fancy Feathers Bazzill White Cardstock. I love how this cardstock is glazed with a fun pattern. It gives the project added depth and texture without taking away from the butterflies. The trick to the stitching is making sure that your stitches are larger stitches so that you do not cut the butterflies in half. I used the setting of 4.0 (similar to basting for those of you that sew) and it worked great. I picked each of the wings up off of the paper for dimension.

I then used another Martha Stewart Punch, Doily Lace Edge Punch with a piece of kraft paper. I then layered with with sequence trim and a bit of tulle. For the text below, I used the program InDesign (by Adobe and it is included with the Creative Suite 5.5) to create the title "The Colors of Our Lives". You can use any document program however I chose Adobe InDesign because I wanted to use a specific kerning (space in between the letters). I used the Myriad Pro Condensed font (comes standard on most programs) and I wrote in all caps with a kerning of 1000 and font size 12. I love how it turned out! I then printed this on a piece of Bazzill White Orange Peel cardstock and then I cut out the strip and adhered it below the kraft strip.

I then placed the project into an inexpensive shadow box from Ikea. I hope you enjoyed the project and have a great week!



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Handy Stamp Storage Idea

Hello everyone... Happy Tuesday! :D

It's Sarah here with today's blog post created for our Monochromatic theme.

I don't know about you, but I always find I need to use stamps from a mixture of stamp sets and I thought it would be easier if I didn't have to slide each stamp set in and out of the packets all of the time.

I have a bunch of empty CD cases that I had almost thrown out but thankfully I hadn't as they turned out to be the perfect solution! The part that holds the CD easily popped out so I could then position my different stamp sets within them.

I found an old wooden CD box but it had no lid and as all clear acrylic stamps are best stored out of the light, I decided I would make a box lid for it... not just a plain lid though... a Wow Embossed box lid!

Here are brief instructions on how to make it:


Using pearl silver card, I created a square to the size that I needed (145mm) and added 30mm wide rectangles around the square adding in some t…

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 2 + Giveaway

I feel very privileged to be able to do some projects for the fabulous Altenew.
They celebrate 4 years this month, and WOW! Embossing Powders have been with them along the way. And now you can join in the fun and WIN prizes !!!!
We love how our products work so well with theirs… So let me show you what I've created….
We all love a bit of Sparkle, right !!

Let's start off with a video tutorial using the Altenew Blooming Bouquet Stamps and Dies with the Crafty Friends Stamps teamed up with WOW! Sparkles and Clear Gloss.

Hugs & Kisses

With this one I used the Altenew Halftone Hearts Stamp Set with matching word dies.

I stamped on a panel slightly smaller than my card base and embossed with WOW! Pink Robin, Goose and Bird of Paradise. I then die cut two hearts 'layered' in the panel, stuck the middle back in and raised the outer to create an eclipse card. I stamped the 'hugs & kisses' on a piece of card stock and did the Sparkle technique (instructions i…

Life's A Beach

Good morning crafty friends, I hope you're all well and getting very creative this month!
As this month's challenge is summer and I live on an island it seemed only natural that my inspiration card would feature sea and sand.
To create my beach scene I started off with a piece of pale blue card and a rubbed a Clear Ultra Slow Drying Embossing Pad across the top several times. I then sprinkled WOW Peppermint Tea Powder and Under The Sea Glitter over the top, tapped off the excess and melted with a heat tool. I created the sand underneath using Gold Pearl Powder.

For the sea I ran a line of PVA glue in the middle of the sky and sand with my finger, sprinkled with Under The Sea Glitter and melted with a heat tool. For the waves I added small areas of PVA straight from the nib of the bottle when added Opaque White Powder.

The birds and sentiment I have used Opaque British Summer Powder which is one of my favourite new powders, great colour and great name!
Finally, I added beach in…