Colors of Our Lives

Hi everyone! Diana here checking in from Southern California. I am so excited to be sharing my first blog post with you. I wanted to share a fun home decor project that I made for CHA that reminds me that Spring is just around the corner.


I love the bright colors of the Candy Counter Suzy West Collection! For this project I used Metallic Silver, Whirly Pop, Gummy Bear Green, Cotton Candy, Berrylicious, Sour Lemon, Bubble Gum, and Earthtone Blueberry. I used Martha Stewart's All Over the Page Classic Butterfly Punch to cut out 9 butterflies. I then used all 9 colors and embossed each butterfly completely. To add a little bit of texture, I stamped on several of them a text and embossed with a coordinating color. The stamp I used was from the "Call Me" WOW stamp collection.
I then stitched each butterfly on to a piece of 9" by 9" Fancy Feathers Bazzill White Cardstock. I love how this cardstock is glazed with a fun pattern. It gives the project added depth and texture without taking away from the butterflies. The trick to the stitching is making sure that your stitches are larger stitches so that you do not cut the butterflies in half. I used the setting of 4.0 (similar to basting for those of you that sew) and it worked great. I picked each of the wings up off of the paper for dimension.



I then used another Martha Stewart Punch, Doily Lace Edge Punch with a piece of kraft paper. I then layered with with sequence trim and a bit of tulle. For the text below, I used the program InDesign (by Adobe and it is included with the Creative Suite 5.5) to create the title "The Colors of Our Lives". You can use any document program however I chose Adobe InDesign because I wanted to use a specific kerning (space in between the letters). I used the Myriad Pro Condensed font (comes standard on most programs) and I wrote in all caps with a kerning of 1000 and font size 12. I love how it turned out! I then printed this on a piece of Bazzill White Orange Peel cardstock and then I cut out the strip and adhered it below the kraft strip.


I then placed the project into an inexpensive shadow box from Ikea. I hope you enjoyed the project and have a great week!

Thanks,
Diana

Comments

Post a Comment