Altered lantern from a piece of paper!

Hello, crafty friends!
It is Victoria on the blog today. Our August theme is "Flowers" and I absolutely love it: I use flowers in almost every project. And I've prepared something really cool. This lantern I created from scratch and embellished with my handmade flowers. I will give you the instructions below.
1. I cut 8 a2 paper frames and 8 borders, using my die-cutting machine, two pieces 12*12 cm of paper for the top and the bottom and two pieces 10.5*10.5 cm of 2 mm thick cardboard. Also I cut four 1,5*13 cm paper strips and scored them in half in length and folded. Then I glued the frames to the folded strips (1st frame-paper strip-2nd frame, so you get rather firm and steady construction), that way I formed rectangular base for the lantern.

2. Now it was time to make the top and bottom parts. I scored two pieces 12*12 cm of paper that I cut previously, making rectangle 11*11 cm with scored sides (something like a box), glued the card board pieces to the inside for more firm construction. And then glued these elements to the lantern. Also I added borders to make more finished look.
I had a small paper box and a cap from some bottle in my stash, so I used them at the top.
3. When everything was dry, I covered the whole project with two coats of black acrylic gesso, as I planned to create the metallic look. After that I applied some light blue and silver acrylic paint with a dry brush, revealing the texture.


4. And it was time to give my lantern metallic shine. I dabbed the embossing ink from Wow Clear Ultra Slow Drying Embossing Pad all over the top of the relief and poured WC05 Metallic Silver powder and heat set with WOW! Heat Tool - Euro. Then I repeated inking part but this time with WS114 Midas Touch embossing glitter. It is silver with different glitters, holographic mostly.
5. Embellishing is fun! I've prepared some chipboard and embossed it with WS116 Mermaid Tails embossing glitter. Also I had die-cut gears -leftover from one of the previous projects- covered with WS112 Heart Throb embossing glitter. Also I made some resins using Feathers - Silicone Mould and Shabby Rose - Silicone Mould. And I used flowers, die-cut leaves, resins, rhinestones, sisal, branches, some metal embellishments. So I adhered it all, forming simple compositions, using glue gun or medium matte. Then I sprayed everything with different red and brown colors and added some highlights with white acrylic paint.
Now you can add light and enjoy. Be sure to use only LED lights, they are safe.








I hope, you will find inspiration and make something cool with us!
Have a good day!
Where to Buy:


Comments

  1. A wonderful piece of work Victoria with lots of pretty flowers and love the colours, and the metallic shine on the lantern brings out the beautiful fretwork too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hard to imagine this is made from paper! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAGICAL piece of ART - LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment