Beach Combing Part 2 by Jaine Drake

If you go on a beach combing trip it's sad to see some of the things which wash up with the tide but at the same time there's great beauty to be found in a rusty piece of metal or something weathered and altered. I'd love to incorporate these into a journal page but lets face it this isn't always practical. 

This is where it's useful to create faux findings and by using die cuts the process is even easier. I like to create little collages with these embellishments, combining them with watercolour backgrounds and other found papers.

My favourite grungy dies come from Carabelle Studio and Gummiapan which are the ones I used in this collage piece. I built up my verdigris piece in layers starting with Primary Bark. I then lightly added a second layer with actual Colour Blend Verdigris and finished with a spot of Metalline Flame. You can add more or less of these as you like until you reach a finish you're happy with. 

As the die cut ring was so skinny I used gel medium to help the powder to stick. I was using Provencal from the Riviera Trio which contains lots of bigger particles which just wouldn't stick to something so thin with just using embossing ink. I ended up adding two layers for a deeper texture. 

Along with some collage papers and thread they look good in my art journal.


 

Jaine

Comments