It's Erica back on the WOW! Blog with a couple of cards with a gorgeous sunflower stamp. This month's Facebook challenge theme is Nature and the first thing that comes to mind for me, is flowers. I love flowers!
I decided to try something very different, whilst still sticking to flowers, and oh boy... at first it did not go well. I had several set backs and do-overs, but in the end I got two cards out of it. My first idea was to add colours to yupo paper with alcohol inks, greens where the stem of the flower image would go. Yellows and a few drops of orange where the petals would be. I used the Face The Sun stamp set from Picket Fence Studios. This part worked pretty well. It's possible I got cocky because of this.
The idea was to have bright colours on the panel underneath and then heat emboss the flower on vellum and lay this over. I used Oiled Slate and it looked gorgeous heat embossed but it didn't work very well, because the vellum was too thick. Ay. I wanted to try and save the alcohol ink panel, so I tried stamping the flower directly on top of it. Even twice, the ink did not stick so that did not work either.
Setting these aside in frustration I tried something else. I attempted to heat emboss the flower directly onto yupo paper. First I stamped it with Hybrid Black ink and then dabbed the Embossing pad on top, and sprinkled clear embossing powder over that. This worked somewhat ok-ish but did warp the paper. I thought I'd be able to make it flat somehow anyway, so I proceeded to add alcohol inks on it.
Things were going good. For a little while anyway. The greens and yellows looked lovely. Then I had to go ruin it by deciding to add orange to add depth. It didn't blend well enough and I couldn't soften it by adding more yellow. I even tried dabbing it up with some kitchen roll and it was no good... It ended up in the bin.
Not wanting all of these to go to waste I turned the vellum piece over and added colour to the back of it with Copics. The same problem as before, with the vellum being too thick, was a problem here too. Nothing was going my way! I turned the piece over again and with a light hand added more Copic color to the front. If you do this, you have to be super careful as the heat embossing can ruin your Copic nibs. This actually looked nice so I adhered this to a white card base. SCORE!! I had almost one whole card done!
Feeling like I was on a card rescue streak, I decided to try saving the alcohol ink panel too. I popped it back into my Mini MISTI and stamped up the Face The Sun with Hybrid Black ink again. This time it worked!! Maybe I just didn't let the alcohol ink dry enough before attempting to stamp the image over it. Memo to self for next time!
On black card stock I heat embossed some sentiments from another Picket Fence Studios set: Favorite Notifications. After using my anti-static tool on the card stock, I stamped up f a few with the Embossing pad and then used Opaque Bright White embossing powder for these.
Well, out of all these disasters I managed to get two cards done. None of them were anything at all like I had planned in my head at first but that's ok. I think it's important to show the fails as well as the good outcomes. If I had thought nobody else made mistakes in their card making process when I started out, I would have been far too intimidated to show my work anywhere.
There is a video over on the YouTube channel as well, showing all the problems, fails and fixes along the way too.
That's it from me for today, and now it's your turn! We want to see how you interpret the challenge theme. Add your projects to the photo album in the Facebook group and you will be in with a chance to win a $/£15 to spend in the WOW! UK or US shop!
Lots of love and happy crafting from Erica