Layering Embossing Powders to Create Dimension



Hi Everyone!

It's Jenny from the Creative Team here and today I'm joining you to share two card projects which use layering dies and layering stamps with embossing powder to create gorgeous shine and dimension.

You can check out the creative process over on the WOW! YouTube channel or here:


I love layering stamps - but I'd never tried them with embossing powder except as a highlight layer.  The new WOW! trios really excited me and I got the idea for these cards because some of the hard work is taken out of working out which colours to go for with the trios.  They're perfect complementary colors that go great together (either tones or combos) and super for this technique.


For my first card I used the Aquatini Trio which includes Curacao and Splash embossing powders and a glitter.  I only used the embossing powders for my first card, and I supplemented them with Cloud 9 for the middle layers, Seaglass for the lightest layer, and Sparkling Snow for the centre.   I heat embossed all of the die cuts for the floral from the Altenew Peony Dream 3D layering dies and adhered them together.


I used the floral to line up my stamps (from Altenew Beautiful Heart) which I stamped in light grey ink (Twilight by Catherine Pooler) - this is a great technique to avoid masking - I hate masking LOL!  The sentiment was stamped in Primary Bright White Opaque powder on dark grey cardstock and popped up on foam tape. A few black splatters, and sparkling clear sequins embellished the background.


For my second card I used three of the Layering Stamps from Beautiful Heart (I didn't use the outline stamp) and heat embossed each layer - starting with Oyster Glintz, Mayan Glintz and Metallic Copper.    You must be sure to use a powder tool in between stamping to get a crisp image and try not to shift your stamping block - the surface is a little slick!


I finished the background in a similar way as the first card, and again - NO MASKING! The embossing resists the ink and you can just wipe off the image where it stamped on top of the embossing powder - genius!  I added a little Tattered Rose Distress Ink to the leaves using the second leaf layer from the stamp set - the color goes perfectly with Mayan Glintz!

This whole lack of masking has really got me and I definitely plan to do this more in the future! It's so much fun picking out the colors that go together or using the pre-chosen trios!!

I hope you have a wonderful day all!

Jenny

Supplies Used:


Comments

  1. Two beautiful cards Jenny and love both the dimension and the colours of these pretty flowers. This is a great idea using layered die cuts. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment