Skip to main content

Pearlised Custom Patterned Card

Gift box and card featuring pearlised custom patterned card by Neil Burley
I love monochromatic themes - they take away all the stresses of what paper goes with which embellishment, do the colours match, what colours go with what... But then you run across the problem of not all reds are equal - hues and saturations don't match. How about creating your very own monochromatic pearlised custom patterned card stock, so you can be sure your projects keep a consistent colour tone? Read on to find out how you can use WOW! Pearlescent Powders to add your own pearl sheen to your creations.


Here's how to make your pearlised custom patterned card:

First, cut your card to size - I used a 21x21cm piece ready to make my box lid. Tear a length of low-tack masking tape into strips and stick down to the card in a random order to create an irregular pattern. Overlap the edges. You'll find it easier to lift the strips if you fold over one end to stick down to itself. Using your choice of colour of distress ink, blend an even tone of colour across the exposed card. If working on a small piece, dry a little using a heat tool.


Peel up all the strips of masking tape, and put them back on in a new random order, overlapping some of the inked areas. Apply more ink.
Repeat once more.

Finally, take all the masking tape strips off and throw them away. Blend more ink across the whole page. The translucent ink builds layers of tone, creating the custom pattern.


Whilst the final ink layer is still sticky, cover the whole piece with a coordinating WOW! Pearlescent Embossing Powder. I used WOW! Violet Pearl to cover the Dusty Concord distress ink.

Tap off the excess and return this to the pot. Heat set your custom patterned paper to complete the transformation!




To make the gift box/card set:
  1. For the box lid: using a template/score guide/good old fashioned measuring, score lines 4.5cm from each edge of your custom patterned pearlised card
  2. Cut away most of the corner squares, leaving just a tab to fold in and stick to the next side piece with double sided tape to make the lid
  3. Using a circle punch, cut notches on two sides to allow the lid to be easily taken off the base.
  4. For the base: score lines 4.7cm from each edge (to make the base slightly smaller) of a 21x21cm piece of white card stock and complete as for the lid.
  5. From the tab offcuts, cut three pieces of your pearlised card 4cm square
  6. From white card, cut three pieces 5cm square and using the ink pad direct to paper, colour the edges with your chosen distress ink. Mount the pearlised squares on this.
  7. From the white card stock, punch or die cut flowers and shape with an embossing tool. Colour the edges with the distress ink. I mixed WOW! Purple Puff Ultra High Powder with WOW! Magical Mauve Embossing Glitter in equal proportions to give some texture with bling to the middle of each flower.



Other monochromatic combinations to try:


Dried Marigold with WOW! Orange Pearl


Peeled Paint with WOW! Green Pearl


Pumice Stone with WOW! White Pearl


Barn Door with WOW! Red Pearl


Faded Jeans with WOW! Blue Pearl


NB: The metallic pearls are opaque, so will not work for this technique.



Comments

  1. Great idea Neil ... Particularly love the peeled paint one ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project Neil, love the colour choice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this done before Neil - love the look you get :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life's A Beach

Good morning crafty friends, I hope you're all well and getting very creative this month!
As this month's challenge is summer and I live on an island it seemed only natural that my inspiration card would feature sea and sand.
To create my beach scene I started off with a piece of pale blue card and a rubbed a Clear Ultra Slow Drying Embossing Pad across the top several times. I then sprinkled WOW Peppermint Tea Powder and Under The Sea Glitter over the top, tapped off the excess and melted with a heat tool. I created the sand underneath using Gold Pearl Powder.


For the sea I ran a line of PVA glue in the middle of the sky and sand with my finger, sprinkled with Under The Sea Glitter and melted with a heat tool. For the waves I added small areas of PVA straight from the nib of the bottle when added Opaque White Powder.




The birds and sentiment I have used Opaque British Summer Powder which is one of my favourite new powders, great colour and great name!
Finally, I added beach in…

Handy Stamp Storage Idea

Hello everyone... Happy Tuesday! :D

It's Sarah here with today's blog post created for our Monochromatic theme.




I don't know about you, but I always find I need to use stamps from a mixture of stamp sets and I thought it would be easier if I didn't have to slide each stamp set in and out of the packets all of the time.

I have a bunch of empty CD cases that I had almost thrown out but thankfully I hadn't as they turned out to be the perfect solution! The part that holds the CD easily popped out so I could then position my different stamp sets within them.

I found an old wooden CD box but it had no lid and as all clear acrylic stamps are best stored out of the light, I decided I would make a box lid for it... not just a plain lid though... a Wow Embossed box lid!


Here are brief instructions on how to make it:



STEP ONE

Using pearl silver card, I created a square to the size that I needed (145mm) and added 30mm wide rectangles around the square adding in some t…

Altenew’s 3rd Anniversary Blog Hop + Giveaway!

Hi Everyone!
Welcome to the Altenew 3rd Anniversary Blog Hop! If this is the first post you are reading and you would like to hop along you can start here on the Altenew Blog!
Altenew was kind enough to send us some stamps to play with and invited us to participate in the blog hop! There are some awesome prizes to be won and we also have a $30 gift certificate to give away to spend in our shop! Be sure to leave  comments on all 4 days of the blog hop to get a chance to win some amazing prizes!
I got to play with two Altenew Stamps: Basic Borders and Thinking Of You. I loved them so much I made two projects with them! 

I created this very easy background using the entire stamp set as a background and inked it up with our WOW! Embossing Powder Inkpad (UK Shop, US Shop) and using a variety of our Primary Embossing Powders (UK Shop, US Shop) to create this rainbow effect! <3 The Primary Embossing Powders go really well with each other and I simplay love how glossy they are. 


To finish…