Exploring Embossing - a few tips and tricks!

Hey friends! For today's instalment of Exploring Embossing, I'm sharing a couple of tips and tricks I've learned on my little embossing journey so far, all of which I used with today's card!




The first is to swatch out any new embossing powder or glitter you get - it might sound obvious, but they can look quite different on card than they do in the container! I find it really helps me to come up with new projects when I can see a decent sized sample of what the powders look like! Personally, I die cut a tag, scribble all over it with my embossing pen and add my powder or glitter, then keep all of the tags on a swatch ring to refer to easily. I'll share a reel on this soon!

For this card, I used my swatched tags to help me choose my background colours - I found that the three colours in new Silk Road trio (Chinese Lantern, Pomegranate and Silk Brocade) matched up well with three of my distress oxides: cracking campfire, spiced marmalade and seedless preserves.




I masked off a square on my card panel and ink blended the three colours. I then used my anti static powder tool to dust over the top, and stamped one of the lanterns from Clearly Besotted's Panda Perfection stamp set. The string at the top of the lantern was not long enough for my picture, so (and here comes the second tip!) I used my Wow! Embossing pen to draw a line from the lantern to the top of my ink-blended square. I added Silk Brocade embossing powder and heat set. I repeated to get four lanterns - the other style of lantern, I coloured with Pomegranate.

Another little trick is to use a pin (just a standard sewing pin will do!) to pick out any of the details in the stamping that may have gotten lost, before heat setting.




To finish my card, I stamped the sentiment below the ink-blended square, then added two of the little pandas from the set with foam tape. I had coloured these really simply with some warm grey copics to add shadow, and some little rosy cheeks.

To see the full process, please check out the reel on my Instagram @card_days_night or on the Wow Instagram page!

Thanks for stopping by - catch you next time for some more Exploring Embossing!

Comments