Mixed Media Fun

Hello all.  Donna here today sharing with you a project I created for  'Anything but a card' theme. I created my first ever large mixed media canvas using lots of  new products released this month. Hehe my new favourites,  the colours are delicious and the stamps are perfect for mixed media projects.

This is  what I created:


I had so much fun with this and got very messy hands.  I absolutely love getting messy and was just what I needed to do.   I started off this project by stamping a large sheet of tissue paper that would cover the entire canvas.  I used the new tropical stamp for this which creates the perfect background for my project. 



If you look to the side of the owls head you can see the Tropical stamp image. After the glue had dried I applied some watered down gesso over the entire canvas.  I watered the gesso down as I wanted the stamped image to be seen.  Once the gesso was dry the fun began by adding a mixture of distress paints and some ink sprays.  Again waiting for the paint and inks to dry (you can speed this process up by using Wows powerful heat gun)


The next step was to add some texture to the background.  One of my favourite techniques is to used  Heavy gel medium and a mask.  I put the mask onto the canvas and with an old plastic card I apply some heavy gel medium over the mask  and allow this to air dry.  Once dried I get my heat gun and heat the heavy gel medium and very quickly place my Wow Foil over top.  Give it a quick rub with you finger over the area you heated.  The foil will only stick to the gel.



To add more texture I used a random font stamp and stamped around the edges of my canvas with versa mark.  I sprinkled with Silent Night and Fairy Dust embossing powders over top and heat set.



Once I was happy with my back ground I had drew an owl.  I cut the owl parts out and then I used a number of Wow's new stamps to add detail and texture.  The entire owl has been stamped and embossed with either Sparkle & Shine or Let It Snow stamp sets.  I used Long Island teal, Primary Blue Topaz, Daytona Sands, Silent Night and Atlantic Seaspray embossing powders.  After I heat set my embossing powders I rubbed distress paint over the embossed areas to give my owl colour.




I hand drew my branches and then added leaves from Flights of Fancy which I embossed  with Mistletoe Magic.  I used a number of paints over my leaves to create an autumn look and feel to them



After creating this canvas I can see that I will be creating more of them.  I loved how the Wow stamps could be adapted to mixed media simply by not putting your stamp onto the stamp block, but instead just using your finger to apply a bit of pressure to the back of the stamp where you would like the image to go.

Products used in this months project can all be found over at the Wow Shop page.  

Products Used this month

STAMPS
Let it snow
Sparkle &Shine
Flights of Fancy
Tropical

FAB FOIL
Copper 

EMBOSSING POWDERS
Fairy Dust
Atlantic Seaspray
Daytona Sands
Mistletoe Magic
Silent Night
Long Island Teal
Primary Blue Topaz

Wow Embossing Heat Gun






Comments

  1. A fantastic mixed media piece! Love the many layers and plethora of details, there is so much to look at...

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! Love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing with us too Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it. thank you for your kind words

      Delete

Post a Comment