Click here to find our current giveaway updates

Blog Archive

Thursday, 12 December 2013

Be Upstanding!

Hi Everyone
 

This month with WOW the challenge is - Family Projects.  I did make one of these a long time ago and my daughter has a new colour scheme in her bedroom so asked me to do another for her, so I thought I would share it with you.

This mannequin I purchased from a car boot sale for 50pence and I had this ethereal, earthtoney nature idea in mind.  You can pick them up from places like Home Bargains and B & M bargains. 

Part of the WOW collection are flocks and foils.  You can do so much with them and combined with double sided sticky sheets, you're onto a winner,  I loved this technique and so I have replicated it for the skirt on the mannequin.
 

Firstly, I painted the mannequin in white gesso and the stand in black.  If there is a paint I cannot do without it is gesso both in white and black.  It is sooo fantastic as a base for anything. Next I stamped tissue paper with Stazon and WOW Funky border stamp set.  I then tore this into strips and used PVA glue to put it onto the mannequin body. 

  


Once dry, I went over this in peeled paint and vintage photo distress stain, then tapped versamark onto it and heat set with WOW green glitter embossing powder.


The WOW technique came next.  Get a stencil -I chose a Dreamweaver leafy stencil and put in down on one side of the double sided sticky.  Take the different foils, I chose copper, dark blue and green and rubbed this into the stencil.  When pulled away some of it stays in the stencil crevices.  After that I used brown flock and rubbed this over the stencil, putting back in the pot what I didn't use.  I then peeled the stencil off and sprinkled bark embossing powder over the pattern. The embossing powder stuck to the areas hidden by the stencil.  I then used a heat gun lightly over the picture and the embossing powder melted and formed ridges in the pattern. Don't put the heat source too close as it will buckle the sticky sheet. 

flock technique


I covered a full A4 sheet of double sided sticky with the stencil and the technique then peeled off the back of the sticky and lay it onto a very colourful piece of 12 x 12 paper.   This would mean that when I curled the pieces for the skirt, the backing paper would show through in some areas and blend with the mannequin torso.

skirt
  I then cut this into 2cm strips, curled one end and glued the other onto the torso forming a skirt all the way around.  I then finished off with a velvet ribbon around the waist, tied at the back.


bodice














There are 2 dies - 1 x leaf stacker die by Mariella and a holly vine by Cherry Lynn .  I then covered these in versamark and WOW verdigris embossing powder, then went over the dies with peeled paint and vintage photo distress stains.   I then glued them onto the bodice.
  
left side

The glitter flower is from my stash of Prima flowers covered in WOW ultra thick clear embossing powder.  you just tap the edges in versamark and then the embossing powder and melt only slightly.  It comes out as rain droplets and the small flowers are made from cork with the spellbinder bauble blossoms 2.

The butterflies are a Anne Griffin punch dipped in versamark and heat set with WOW bark embossing powder.  The watch, key and gem embellishments are from my stash.

The collar around the bodice is made from the spellbinder bauble blossoms 2 out of parchment paper inked with vintage photo distress stain.

back of bodice


I have called this mother earth as it looks very organic to me and looks wonderful on the windowsill of my daughters bedroom.  

Hope you've had a little bit of peace and tranquillity this week.

See some further inspiration at http://www.nwscrapbooking.blogspot.com/
Take care

Sue

Pin It Now!

1 comment: