(Gentle)manly card and a quick mask tutorial

Hi, its Amy here with my first individual post for the WOW design team. Its my turn to post my manly card so here it is...


WOW powders used:

Apple Red (Hearts)
Primary Ebony Ultra High (torn edges and question mark)
Primary Ebony Super Fine (figure and text)

Stamps:

Indigo Blu (main image)
Various clear stamps I have had in my collection for so long I have no idea what make they are - sorry!

I made the background on white card by putting my hand into a plastic bag and scrunching it onto a Weathered Wood distress ink pad before dabbing it onto the paper. I then stamped and embossed the main image in ebony, 3 different sized hearts in apple red and the 'be mine' text in ebony. The 'will you be my valentine' caption was created using a dymo labeller. I triple embossed the question mark (from a grungeboard alphabet set) in ebony ultra high.

The crown and wings were die cut from black card using the Tim Holtz Heart Wings die. I triple embossed these with metallic silver ultra high. Because this was quite thin card when it was heated they naturally curved slightly so this was perfect for the effect I wanted to achieve. Of course if you want them to stay flat then I would just use thicker card. I used a craft knife to carefully cut a slit down each side of the image where I wanted to pop my wings through and used double sided tape on the back to hold them in place. I tore the edges of the finished piece against a ruler and embossed them in ebony by roughly running the embossing ink pad along the edges. I think this gives a lovely vintage look but it also provides a frame without using additional card. I then mounted the finished result on red card and there you have it. Hope you like it?

Embossing with Masks

As I have been playing with this effect all week I thought I would also share a quick method for embossing with masks. There are many other ways to use them too but here is mine:

I used various masks from The Crafters Workshop. First I applied embossing ink to the mask by squishing it (technical term!) onto the pad.



I then carefully positioned it onto the card. To apply pressure over the top to transfer the embossing ink onto the card I used a brayer. After experimenting I found the best way to do this was to lay a sheet of paper over the top of the mask and brayer over the paper, holding the mask in place. This way no excess embossing powder can transfer to the brayer and ink up areas which you don't want embossed. Brayer gently in one direction not backwards and forwards so you don't move the mask.



Remove the paper and mask, apply embossing powder, tap off the excess and return to the jar. Then gently heat your powder until it melts.


WOW Sherbert embossing powder


(dont be deceived by the less exotic name of this powder - its an amazing colour)


Can't wait to use these last two as backgrounds for cards. I hope this inspires you to play and have as much fun as I did. I'll be back in February with another post. Meanwhile can't wait to see what the rest of the talented team comes up with.
Amy

Comments

  1. A very dapper gent's card :)
    And I'm going to have to look for the Pepper powder... I don't remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Pepper is a lovely colour, have you got the other earthtone colours too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab card! It looks really so very stuning! xx Bianca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment